Quoting Tori Ruhl <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

Hello all!

Let me preface this by saying that I don't know that much about embroidery.
I want to put gold couching on velvet. Should I make a frame big enough to accomodate the entire pattern piece?
I would think that a hoop would damage the velvet, so I'd rather not do that.

If you stitch for *short* periods of time and don't leave the fabric in the hoop, you won't see much compression of the velvet. My piece is home, I'll try and remember tonight to check it and see.

And this piece (a pouch) actually has the hoop large enough so that the pouch itself is completely within the hoop. It would help if you had a hoop large enough. A scroll frame would work too, and it might be easier to manipulate.

What if I'm embroidering an entire skirt? Do I need a frame big enough for that pattern piece as well? Or....should it be embroidered on a different fabric and appliqued onto the garment?

yes. :-) Applique was indeed done in pre-1700 garments when the final, fashion fabric was velvet. I don't know about later stuff, but I don't see why it wouldn't be! Other folks will know the answer to that one I'm sure. What period are you doing?

I'm not as concerned with historically accurate techniques, yet, as I am with just getting from point A to point B with as few migraines as possible.

If you haven't prewashed everything, applique might make it easier to clean -- especially if you're doing metal thread. You could just take the applique off ...

susan
-----
Susan Farmer
[EMAIL PROTECTED]