On Fri, 27 Apr 2007, Dawn wrote:

Trim off any fraying edges. Take the edge of the fabric between your
thumb and finger and try and roll it into a narrow hem. Curse. Snip
off any frayed bits you caused. Take tiny stitches with the other
hand. Repeat.

I'll confess this is how I've always done it. But not long ago -- maybe
even on this list? -- I read of a quicker technique that had to do with
making a tiny fold and stitching alternately above the raw edge and then
into the edge of the fold; take a few stitches, pull, and the hem rolls
itself. But I may be missing a step or trick here, and it probably matters
exactly how you point the needle. I am half-remembering a diagram which
may have been on a webpage or may have been someone's ASCII drawing on the
list. Does this ring bells for anyone?

--Robin

Yes it does. I sent a file with illustrations to the original poster privately, since this list doesn't take attachments. It also helps to use a sewing clamp as a third hand to keep the fabric taut.

Melusine