(snip about sewing birds and other clamp-type things)

I've seen those, and also wondered about the heavy/stiff pillows it
looks like stitchers are using in some of the 17/18C paintings.  A
couple of examples:
http://www.arthistory.cc/auth/velazquez/index.htm  scroll down to 'The
Needlewoman'

"Interior with a Mother" by Willem van Mieris  and "The Letter Writer
Surprised" by Gabriel Metsu (both are on the http://www.wga.hu site ).

Seems to be a very similar style of tall basket also used at this time
for mending and/or sewing supplies.

One of those pillows might work pretty well for me, it would be
adjustable.  When I try and pin what I am working on to the chair that
is, naturally, the time the cat wants a lap :).

Catherine

I've only had my clamps for about a year; before that, I used to pin my work to a chair arm, part of my clothing, etc. My greatgrandmother taught me to pin my work to the knee of my jeans when I was in high school, that worked pretty well. The advantage of a clamp or the pillows, is that you can get up for a cup of tea without your work being attached to you.

Melusine