I didn't either. As both a historian and a costume designer, I see no reason to be embarrassed about the very good reasons why accuracy > is often compromised on the stage. I still groan when I watch films with terribly bastardized fashions, but I can often tell why they did it. Telling the story is first priority. Accuracy is icing for the geeks. :)

Melanie Schuessler

Exactly. The ones that really irk me are the ones where the story would be better served by most accurate costumes and they still don't.

I just read a very interesting article about Memoirs of a Geisha. Lisa Dalby, who is the only non-Japanese ever trained as a geisha, was a consultant on the film, and was upset that they didn't use the correct make-up, but did a modified version, until she overheard a couple of stagehands talking about how wierd the complete white-faced look was to them. She realized that, in order to portray the women as beautiful and sexy, the traditional make-up had to be modified for the modern and western audience, that where a Japanese (and especially an older Japanese audience would see them as being beautiful, the intended audience would not.

Melusine