A nearer time period for this study of the constraints of fabric width/usage and its effect on clothing design is the Utility rules in place during WW2. There were strict rules for manufacturers of civilian wear in how much fabric could be used for specified garments. These restrictions are directly seen in the creative cut and line of fashion developed.

I have been aware for some time that when you come across referances of a gown taking 10-18 yards of fabric in the 18th when the fab.width of the time was 22-28" that is you combine these measurements with the average width of todays yardage that it comes out roughly to about half the historical yardage. Have you ever tried to put 10panels of skirt yardage on a 25" waist?

Kathleen
----- Original Message ----- From: "Sue Clemenger" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: "Historical Costume" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Thursday, May 03, 2007 8:29 PM
Subject: Re: [h-cost]Theater vs Historic (was:new Butterick pattern

Frankly, I thinking working with fabrics in authentic widths would be a
blast.  But then, I'm here more for the historical/reenactment end of
things. And if I ever win the lottery (not that I play, mind you, but....),
then porsches be darned, I'm getting some of those exquisite silk velvets
that cost, what was it, 1500? 1600? euro/meter?
--Sue