Quoting Robin Netherton <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

This is one of those times. I'm talking with another researcher who's
working with a text reference to embroidery. One possible interpretation
of the reference would be that it describes embroidery that appears on
both the inside and outside of the fabric. To me, that sounds like
something on the line of blackwork, designed to be neat and finished
looking on both the right and "wrong" side, and thus suited to things like
cuff and collar edges that might be turned out.

So, questions:

1. Is my memory correct -- is this indeed a characteristic of blackwork?
Or any other kind of historic embroidery style?

Blackwork can be reversible -- but it doesn't have to be.

2. Is this characteristic actually documentable to any non-modern
examples? (I know it's easy to assume that a standard definition of a
technique must date back forever, but it might be done differently in
different periods.) If so, how early? I mentally associate blackwork in
particular with the Tudor period, but the reference in this case is about
1400.

To my knowledge -- and blackwork isn't my "thing" -- blackwork is later than 1400. There are more knowledgeable folks on this list than I in that respect.

susan
-----
Susan Farmer
[EMAIL PROTECTED]