> It looks like there's a good chance that within the year, I'll be moving to the Seattle area. Is there anything out there of interest to h-cost type folks? > > -E House, dreading packing and planning to start EARLY this time...>

It depends on what period you're looking for. European history out here started about 1840 or so, which limits some of the emphasis. That being said, there's a lot of Asian and Native American textiles, costumes and artifacts in the museums, and some European stuff, you just have to look a bit for it. The University of Washington has a fairly interesting collection at the Burke Museum. If you're looking for reenactment groups, there's a bunch. I don't know of any Rev. War groups, but a lot of Fur Trade, Civil War, etc. There's the Beyond Realitiy Costumers Guild, which does historic as well as fantasy/science fiction costume, a lot of SCA groups, and a thriving theater scene. As for interesting fabric stores, we've been cursed by most of them closing or getting bought out by the chains and then turning to craft stores with some fabric, but Nancy's Sewing Basket, although pricey, has got some great stuff.

Out of Seattle proper, but still close enough for day trips, the Portland Art Museum has some world class traveling exhibits, the one opening next month is the treasures of the Riksmuseum that was in Phoenix. I do a lot of my fabric shopping in Portland or nearby, the Pendleton Woolen Mills outlet is in Washougal, and there are several interesting fabric stores. Traveling the other direction, Vancouver, BC. is a great place for Indian and Pakistani textiles.

I live about 45 minutes south of Seattle, in Tacoma, and usually spend one day a week in Seattle doing fittings. Let me know when you get here and maybe we can meet for coffee.

Melusine