I'm a Localite - not in Seattle itself, but across the water in a lovely little town named Poulsbo. If you'd like to live near Seattle but not *in* King County (which is...half city), I put forward the option of living in Kitsap. It's cheaper, but I'm only an hour's commute away from Seattle. I love both the proximity and the distance! (The closer you get to Seattle, the pricy-er it gets)

As far as historical stuff....

In Tacoma you have Fort Nisqualy, which is a reenacting/living history fort set in 1855. I haven't personally been, but I know quite a few people who do work there. In my town you've got a small, but nice house museum where we're starting a living history program soon.... There are several other forts around (Fort Warden, Fort Stellicom, etc) as well as some lovely historical towns. Unfortunately, due to the newness of the area as a whole, 1855 is about the earliest you get without going 'native.'

Places to go . . . hmm . . . Weaving Works is great, if you like fiber arts, knitting or weaving. The Pendleton Wool Mill outlet is a wool lovers dream. Pacific Fabrics in Seattle carries some corsetry supplies and teaches corset making classes, if you'd like to gauge what is sold there, and there are always things like Benaroya Hall, where the Seattle Symphony preforms, the Opera, etc.

There is a Rev War group, but they're mostly male and do skirmishes. Lots of SCA, but I only know of one terribly farby Ren Faire.

I love living in this area - it's not to hot, not to cold, absolutely gorgeous and once you get over the rain (there really isn't that much) the weather is great.

- Elisabeth

E House wrote:
It looks like there's a good chance that within the year, I'll be moving to the Seattle area. Is there anything out there of interest to h-cost type folks?
-E House, dreading packing and planning to start EARLY this time...