I am a writer and editor for a living. I started out in costume because I am
interested in the history of weaving, and became fascinated with the way
weaving technology and trade influenced fashion throughout history -- the huge
expansion of gowns in periods where new technology makes fabric cheap, the
design elements that are "forced" by limitations in the fabric (notably the
avoidance of horizontal seaming), and the way trade in fabric parallels the
trade in ideas. I got into re-enacting when I was researching a fiction idea I
had about all this stuff, and needed to immerse myself as far as possible in
what it was like to wear the clothes and use the technology and in an attempt
to see how the material culture might influence ideas.

At some point I became annoyed by 18th century re-enactor complaints about the
unavailability of appropriate printed cottons, and began investigating options
for getting fabrics from India. At some point I found a buyer who traveled to
India every year and would look into getting me block printed dress goods, but
only if I would place a wholesale order to make it worth her while. So I did,
and became, by accident, a fabric merchant. See
http://www.timetraveltextiles.com I use the cloth-selling partly to give myself
a mercer/draper persona for playing at re-enactor events, and partly to pay for
some of my costume fun, and partly to be able to deduct other elements of my
costume fun from my taxes. But mostly to be able to handle the fabrics and to
"justify" researching the fabrics and rationalize making the costumes. My
intention is to start weaving more of my wares, but as I am between houses
right now, almost all the looms are in storage and I am putting more of my
energy in!
 to purs
uits that make more money per hour than handweaving, which is basically, um,
anything. I have seen far too many people at this point, including some on this
list, who have become disillusioned or even embittered trying to make a full
living from whatever aspect of historical costume or merchanting they once
loved, and so about a month ago I did take a full-time job to take the
financial pressure off the cloth business and off my freelance writing.

Due to my interest in moments when textile technology and trade changed fashion
and the world, my two favorite periods of interest are the 10th century, when
the horizontal loom was being adopted in Europe and England for wool and linen
weaving, and the end of the 18th century, the dawn of the Industrial
Revolution.

And now I must shut up and get back to work!
Lauren Walker
[EMAIL PROTECTED]