Hi, first time poster. Firstly thank you for having a place where there is alot
of knowledge and willingness to help.

  I recently started corsetry around three months ago. I'm a very technically
minded person so have spent most of the time working out patterns for under and
overbusts with great success...I can say I understand the shapes.

  But having recently bought the past patterns edwardian straight front corset
I am completely dumbfounded as to what these lines are doing to creat this
dramatic curve.
  I have drafted atleast 6 of my own patterns and sewn 3 mockups but I seem to
be going further from the solution, I've had a look at the patterns here aswell.

  My question is this, I'm not asking for trade secrets but can someone tell me
how each line of a straight front pattern affects the end result shape? I've
noticed there are incredibly large gaps between pieces in the waist and bust
sometimes adding upto 6-8 inches reduction.
  Also the s-curve line...should it be located dead on the side line? Straight
or at an angle? Should the waistline be angled upwards towards the back? Should
the top and bottom follow suit or stay straight?

  I mean I basically understand the principle of it, basically it's just like a
normal corset with the waist reduced as normal. Then from the side you pull
back the top and bottom lines until the front is straight and the back gets
curved but looking at the patterns there must be more to it.

  If anyone who drafts there own patterns could give me some technical insight
it would be much appreciated. You see I don't want to just copy patterns, I
want to understand how there made giving me a greater insight into making my
own.
  I have looked at every resource there is on the net and I can't find anything
technical to help me and I'm sick of not understanding what I'm doing when
drafting.