What does interpreting mean?

 On Jun 20, 2007, at 8:19 AM, Joan Jurancich wrote:

At 08:54 PM 6/19/2007, you wrote:
I'm going Wednesday night to turn in my application to be a volunteer at a local historic site. They do 1860's. Nothing fancy, it's a farm house, but it looks like it could be fun. I've met some of the other ladies and they're nice.

Wish me luck. I don't know if they're going to interview me tomorrow or have me come back later, but I'm nervous I'll say something stupid and they won't want me. I got turned away from another volunteer job at a site once because I didn't have any experience 'interpreting'. I'm hoping this one goes better. They seem a lot more low-key.

Those of you who do volunteer work at sites, how did you get the 'job'?

Dawn

Out here in Sacramento, I am a long-time docent at Sutter's Fort. We have training classes for new docents, so you are not expected to know a great deal about the Fort when you begin. The interview to be accepted as a docent trainee is to make certain that you know what function of a docent is (you need to like interacting with visitors) and to make certain you do not have unrealistic ideas of what you can do. Most places are in need of volunteers, so I am surprised that any place turns down people without giving them a chance to learn how to interpret to the public. Interpretation is something than one learns, primarily by doing (being a chatterbox is not a handicap ;-) ).

Joan Jurancich
[EMAIL PROTECTED]