----- Original Message ----- From: "Saragrace Knauf" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> << Fabulous! Do you think it is wrong to assume that most of the materials and sewing at this point "over there" were still hand made? Just looking at the "hut" in the Profile of a Nomad - the precision is so incredible. I feel like it is a peek back into time as to how incredibly talented human beings can be with just hand tools. >>

I am so fascinated by these pictures... they make the history home to me so much more than anything else I've seen.

I've always been fascinated by Russia, partly because western Russia is Fairytale Land to me, but mostly because Russia has made such a habit of being way behind the times. The people in those pictures had far more in common with 16thC or earlier western Europe than with early 20th western Europe! (And to look at the depressed faces of Russian peasants only a few years before the revolution... wow.)

And then when I think that these pictures predate Max Tilke's book on Asian costume...! Complete old photo geek, I am. I'm not at all interested in replicating Russian costume, and I expected to be disappointed that there's only a handful of pictures of c1910 western European costume, but no. It's the Russian costumes I'm drooling over, even though I still don't want to make them!

-E House