On Tue, 21 Aug 2007, Catherine Kinsey wrote:

> Would anyone know of a resource for finding the prices of things in
> 1957?  I'm not looking for a current value but what something would
> have cost in 1957.  Specifically a cocktail length wedding dress??

The fastest way I can think of to get the answer is in the microfilm room
of my local library, which has archives of newspapers going way back ...
including ad sections. I'd go for the Sunday New York Times or a similar
paper with large Sunday ad supplements. You might have to go through a few
months (I can't remember what season is the big one for wedding dress
sales), but eventually you'll find an ad for a bridal show or sale that
will have pictures with prices.

A similar resource is old magazines. Modern Bride or Bride's Magazine
might not go back that far, but Vogue and Ladies' Home Journal may
occasionally feature wedding dresses. Try the Reader's Guide to Periodical
Literature for your target year to find magazine features on wedding
gowns, then see if you can get the magazine on microfilm or fiche. You'll
need a good-sized library for this.

--Robin