To: "Historical Costume" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Wednesday, September 05, 2007 2:36 PM
Subject: Re: [h-cost] Using Feathers in Costume

At 19:16 05/09/2007, you wrote:
What feathers are best for sewing onto fabric in order to get a nice sleek look? The project is going to consist of a sheath type dress, covered in feathers. I don't have any experience working with them, so advice is greatly appreciated.
(best way to layer, attach...etc)

Not for a sleek look, but when I made the two peacock feather cloaks, http://suziclarke4384.fotopic.net/p10043022.html which comprised peacock feathers on silk organza, I sewed through the "stalk" (don't remember the proper name) and then again through the feathers near the top. You have to ruffle the feathers - sorry! - in order to hide the thread, but this is not difficult. You will need a lot of feathers to cover completely, as you will need to overlap them, I think.

Suzi