On Sep 5, 2007, at 11:16 AM, Tori Ruhl wrote:
What feathers are best for sewing onto fabric in order to get a nice sleek look? The project is going to consist of a sheath type dress, covered in feathers. I don't have any experience working with them, so advice is greatly appreciated.
(best way to layer, attach...etc)

I'd go with 4-6" ostrich drabs (body feathers) <http:// www.ostrichesonline.com/feather/of-db-5-nat.html>. They're flexible and sturdy, so they would hold up pretty well on a dress. They're available in many colors, and if you're going for dark colors you could just buy the naturals cheap and dye them yourself with acid dye.

As to how to attach? In horizontal tiers from the bottom to the top. Stitch the shafts down to your fabric with a strong thread (carpet thread or artificial sinew) using a glover's needle that you can punch through the shaft. To avoid having obvious straight lines of feather tips (even if they're not exactly the same length), you may want to do a zig-zag or sawtooth-wave tier pattern instead of a straight horizontal line. Another good (and perhaps more economical) layout would be to do it in a scale pattern.

andy