Greetings Earthlings,

I'm making a 1770's colonial rural town crier. Obviously, the client  wants
it to look Paul Revere-ish and sorta Norman Rockwell.... nothing  unusual and
something kids [his audience] will get right away. It's hot down  here and
everything will be linen....in fact linen I ALREADY HAD in a box in a
closet...Yay! So I want to evoke a colonial military uniform but not have it
actually be
a uniform. The shirt is made...and is white handkerchief linen with  buttons
made of shell. The waistcoat will be unbleached linen that has a  pale bone/
taupe look and that typical linen weave. I think I'll line it in  some medium
brown cotton I have. The breeches will be a linen that looks  like kettle
cloth, y'know where the yarns are unevenly dyed. It has a medium  indigo blue
mixed
with the bone color of the waistcoat.
The coat will be a typical civilian coat without revers in a blue that
almost looks like denim but with more of a cobalt blue hue to it. I  thought I
would line it in white but cannot find any light weight cotton chintz  or slick
poplin or sateen. I was thinking about buying some cotton sateen sheets  to
line
it with. I had to talk him into the coat so I want to keep it  linen/cotton
and light. Should I do a mariner's cuff? Too military? I want it to  really
have the feel of just a piece of cloth, y'know. I may not put any  inner-facing
in it. I plan to wet it and crumple it a bit so it's not crisp and
fashionable. That sagging rumpled linen look.

And maybe some gaiters. I like the look of all those buttons up the outside
calf. But I do also have riding boots... but I'd have to put a cuff on them
and  I don't know if he wants to fool with boots. Of course all the buttons on
the  gaiters! Talk about fooling with something.

Which brings me to buttons. Gaiters, breeches, coat, waistcoat....  I need a
million of them. Anyone have a fave source? I like the idea of  bone or horn
on the breeches and waistcoat and some metal on the coat and  gaiters. Haven't
check anywhere like Greenburg & Hammer yet but I found  some good choices here:

_http://www.mjtrim.com/Catalog/Category/423.aspx?gclid=CPH37_vt-40CFQMYFQodikA
rKw_
(http://www.mjtrim.com/Catalog/Category/423.aspx?gclid=CPH37_vt-40CFQMYFQodikArKw)

But how about those typical plain ol' pewter buttons. I haven't even
looked...but where would you go for those? Certainly right for the  gaiters.

How about a leather tricorn? Too "Pirates of the Caribbean?"

The only other thing I think he needs is a satchel. That could fulfill my
leather accessory need! Does any reenactor vendor make a military leather
satchel? It doesn't look like a difficult thing to make though. Or I wonder in
tack shop would have something like saddle bags that might work.  Hmmmmm....

Any input from you learnéd colleagues will be most  welcome.