This isn't my period, but I always envisioned a town crier to look a bit like
this guy with stockings and buckled shoes:
  http://www.noquartergiven.net/hamptonbbfestival.htm (about 1/3 down the page)

  It would certainly be less work than all of those buttonholes on the gaiters.
:)

[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
    Greetings Earthlings,

I'm making a 1770's colonial rural town crier.
And maybe some gaiters. I like the look of all those buttons up the outside
calf. But I do also have riding boots... but I'd have to put a cuff on them and
I don't know if he wants to fool with boots. Of course all the buttons on the
gaiters! Talk about fooling with something.