On Sep 24, 2007, at 6:38 AM, Catherine Kinsey wrote:

I finally found it on the web site: <snip> Accession number: 43.243

Again they only show the back of it, and in this lighting you can't see

how magnificently metallic it is. The museum now dates it to 1610-1615.

I wonder if they disproved the connection to Elizabeth I, who died in
1603.

Unlikely, I'd think. Barring the discovery of new documents, a connection with a famous person is pretty difficult either to prove or to disprove.

The date says "about," which I would guess means they are probably fairly confident about which quarter of the 17th century it's from, and maybe the decade, but wouldn't want to narrow it down too much beyond that without some more research.

The MFA Boston actually has a pretty decent textiles collection, but for a long time they had NO gallery space allotted to it, and even now there is only one textiles gallery. So most of the collection sits in storage. They do, however, make it fairly easy to purchase a good photo of many of their items, even if they're not on display.

There might also be someone in the Boston area on this list who'd be interested in taking a closer look at it. (I'm only in that area for a couple of days twice a year or so, visiting my Dad.) In my experience, if you have a good reason to want to see something close up, you can usually make an appointment to see something "backstage" and take photos for your own private use. (You still probably won't be able to touch things -- a staff member will be with you, though, so things can be turned over for you to see both sides.)

This type of jacket (obviously) is not knitted, but the MFA also does have several knitted jackets from about the same time period. If anyone's in the Yahoo [HistoricKnit] group, my photos of three of the knitted jackets from the MFA are in a photo album called "jackets" there.

O    Chris Laning <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> - Davis, California
+     http://paternoster-row.org - http://paternosters.blogspot.com