The only jobs my truelove and I have tried to take to Kinko's have been oversized paper or color xeroxing, and for both we had to go to the desk and ask someone to do the copying for us....precipitating horrified refusals (see my earlier post for details). We don't go in there anymore--we go to a small but competent copy center owned by local people who DO understand fair use. So I can't tell you if my local Kinko's has people patrolling. But I'd suspect that, patrols or not, if they happened to notice someone copying out of a magazine or other bound object they'd step in. I imagine other people have more extensive experience with Kinko's and can comment more definitively.
--Ruth Anne