[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
In a message dated 10/12/2007 9:03:56 AM Eastern Daylight Time, [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

the story of the bastard monarch

It was my impression the Ann and Henry were actually married when Liz was conceived, and that cutting someone's head off for supposed adultery is different from an annulment.

She was illegitimised by Act of Parliament (along with Mary) when Henry married Jane Seymour, to make sure any children he had with Jane would take precedence, even if it hadn't been a boy. But that was repealed later, I can't remember when but she would have done it when she came to the throne herself, if it hadn't been done before.

" Judging by the picture that accompanies the article (a heavy purple moire gown cut beautifully but lacking any decoration)..."

My first thought was, surely that shade of purple wasn't invented until the 19th century?

JEan