How wonderful you're keeping traditions in mind (of course, what more
appropriate place than a wedding).

Patty

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED] [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
On Behalf Of Barbara -_- M aren
Sent: Monday, December 03, 2007 11:16 PM
To: Historical Costume
Subject: Re: [h-cost] What's your dressmaker's wearing?

2007/12/4, Cin <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> So, what's your
> dressmaker's dummy wearing today?

Hi!

The last time this subject came up, I didn't even own one. But had a
wedding
coming up and the crazy idea of sewing the costumes for it myself, so I
won
one on e-bay which seemed the right size, which I took home, adjusted to
my
measurements and proceeded to find that it was suitable to first model
his
wedding suit on (a lovely 1830s frock, now finished).

So now, it's a few weeks later, the wedding is even more imminent, I
have
lost eight kilos and had to compress the top part of dummy beyond its
specification. There is one way it's good that I'm so late with my own
dress: If I already had it now, it wouldn't fit any more.

And I've been thinking and thinking about the design! I want our clothes
match. I want an 1830s full skirt. And people from this list have even
convinced me that it's possible to dance a waltz in a hoop skirt. But
our
wedding dance is a tango, which requires that the gentleman should be
able
to slide his knee _between_ the lady's legs. Again, hoops are out of the
question! :-( I have since had the privilege to watch a wonderful show
on
'The Evolution of Dance', and it is amazing how obviously the dominant
dance
of each time corresponds to the fashion worn then (mainly by the
ladies).
And tango is 1920s -- flapper dresses :-( ! And the close, fast-turning
version of Viennese Waltz that we will dance afterwards actually came up
with, and wants, the late Victorian flat front and  narrow silhouette
you
see e.g. in Renoir's famous dance portraits --
http://claude-monet.org/artbase/Renoir/1841-1919/apc825799/apc.jpg,
http://artyzm.com/obrazy/renoir-dance.jpg,
http://www.arthistoryarchive.com/arthistory/impressionism/images/PierreA
ugusteRenoir-Dance-in-the-City-1883.jpg.

So now I'm trying to incorporate all that into the design -- and the
dress
dummy is currently wearing the first layer of underpinnings -- a 'slip'
make the skirt stand out from the body -- and I'm making the tiers of
netting open in the front, so there will be fewer layers there and our
knees
can touch. Plus, a flat-fronted style should be more flattering to me,
anyway.

Ssh! Luckily he doesn't read this forum AFAIK -- he mustn't know! It's
bad
luck if the bridegroom knows the dress of the bride beforehand (in
German
tradition). The sewing room is taboo for him, and when I have to cut
large
pieces of fabric and need more space, I have to send him away or wait
until
he is asleep. Forgive my spelling of my name, I don't want it to come up
in
an accidental internet search, so he can't stumble upon this
conversation.
(By German tradition, it's also bad luck to sew one's own wedding dress,
but
you can apparently revert that if someone else does the last stitch).

All the while "Bridal Gowns: How to Make the Wedding Dress of Your
Dreams"
by Susan E. Andriks is helping me a lot. It has a *wealth* of tips and
ideas
which are actually not just useful for wedding gowns.

Love to all
B arb ara M