To: "Historical Costume" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Sent: Sunday, December 16, 2007 2:32 AM
Subject: RE: [h-cost] OT: Keeping hair in bun

Sadly for me my hair is slowly becoming less thick and every time I get it
"evened up" it gets a bit shorter as well. I have had good luck back in the
days of thick, long hair, with taking 3 long "bobby-pin" tightly squeezed
not the loose U shape and put them as equidistant around the bun as I could.
I used to have short sections come loose and end up in my mouth and face,
but then I learned the trick of "french rolling (part your hair in the
center, and comb it smoothly to each side.  Start at the part line on one
side and take a little hair and twist it, then move the roll down and gather in some more hair and twist that in. Keep going until you have reached the
area you want the bun to start and put in a big bobby pin to hold it while
you do the other side the same way. Gather the two twists together and wind
them around and make your bun.)  Once you have the short hairs rolled into
the longer ones, they tend not to fly around loosely.  I've even done this
with braids and had it hold throughout the night and next day. If the side
rolls don't look nice and even run a comb through them gently that will
smooth everything out.  If they aren't "fluffy" enough take the sides and
tug gently.

It can take some practice, but your hair will generally stay put. The only
person I've had a problem with was a dancer who had incredibly thick hair
(she stopped having headaches when she cut it to mid back.  The weight of
her hair was actually causing her to flip it and using neck and spine in
ways that weren't good for them.

I should mention that I rinse my hair about every three to five days (100
strokes with a hog bristle brush that is washed every week with baby
shampoo) with as hot water as I can stand and then folded into a towel and
allowed to dry completely before I start with the big cedar comb my nephew
brought me from China.  I may not have the Breck Girl shining hair, but it
isn't oily, and it does stay in styles far longer than it did when I washed
it with shampoo and conditioner frequently.

For the record the lack of Shampoo and Conditioner are not the reason for
the hair loss.  Ya gotta be tough to get old (er)

Wanda