One of my colleagues tossed me a couple of questions that are way out of my
area. I reproduce them below, with his permission.

1. He is looking at a quotation from Juan Ruiz' Book of Good love (1340). The
passage describes an encounter with the serrana Menga Lloriente, a rustic
woman. Ruiz has Menga ask for a "prendero" of "bermejo pano". My colleague
thinks this may be some sort of hair ribbon, or possibly fabric. He writes: "It
seems to have a restraining function. The word is prendero and the color
bermejo and fabric or form pano which does not necessarily denote narrowness."

He recognizes that the word "scarlet" could of course be either red silk (such
as that used for narrow ware) or a fine wool fabric (which may or may not be
red), and wonders if this might indicate a wool band. I think this is unlikely,
as scarlet was a heavy broadcloth and not likely to be used for hairbands.
(Hoods, maybe.) I am not quite sure why he thinks that scarlet is involved in
this quotation (but I don't know the words "berjemo" or "pano" so perhaps one
of them is translated as "scarlet").

He also says, though: "The speaker is a herder, a rustic woman and it does not
seem as if she could expect as a gift a entire hood as she would probably have
used a different word."

He points to an image in Anderson's Hispanic Costume (fig. 302): "I have seen
what appears to be small ware ribbons on "fancy" serving women from 1490 coming
around the head once over the hair and then form a second or double loop coming
down over the forehead a bit like what you would see of the frontal loop if you
removed an opaque coif." I pass that to you for completeness, but I told him
that I would strongly advise against using hairstyles of 1490 to make sense of
a quotation from 1340. Even if (as he believes) Spanish style was relatively
constant, 150 years is a very broad gap in a period known for extensive fashion
changes elsewhere in Europe, and hairstyle is one of the most mutable elements
of dress.

2. He also asks, "Have you ever used Talavera? He seems obsessed primarily with
royal excess and I wonder how reliable he is on earlier bourgeois costume." He
adds, at my request for explanation, that "Talavera was the confessor to Isabel
and Archbishop of Grenada. He wrote a famous account of Spanish fashion very
detailed and full of criticism of excess."

Help on either most gratefully accepted; I will pass responses on to my
colleague.

Thanks,

Robin