----- Original Message ----- From: "Robin Netherton" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> <<He did not indicate a tilde on the n, but that may have been his omission.>>

Definitely a common omission--and the definition of "paño" fits so well I'd bet that's what happened.

<<My colleague's exact words in his e-mail were "she asked in a wedding context for a prendero of bermejo pano." ...From the little he did give me, it sounds like we can be no more specific than "she asked for a red cloth." And nothing that would imply ribbon, or wool, or scarlet (as opposed to red in general).>>

Hrm. From what I know of the words involved, "she asked for a red cloth" definitely seems like a reasonable translation. The word as I know it would in a sense be related to the idea of giving or a gift, and the word could easily have changed senses a bit over the centuries anyway--my favorite example has always been the word "doubt." ("I doubt he'll be there" used to mean "I'm afraid he'll be there" but now means "I'm afraid he won't be there.")

For that matter, if she's asking for a wedding gift (or perhaps shopping for her wedding/obtaining items for her dowry?) scarlet cloth might not be quite so odd a thing for her to want!

...And something just struck me; if the author was referring to a red-colored piece of fabric, I would have expected him to say "paño bermejo" rather than "bermejo paño," which puts the adjective in the wrong order--like calling something "a cloth red." That, on top of that odd implied thingness that I'm having such a hard time putting into words (i.e., you can say a thing is "un bermejo" whereas in English we wouldn't say a thing is "a red") DOES suddenly suggest scarlet, in the sense of a specific type of fabric, a lot more than it did at first glance.

-E House