I need some help in determining what color is being referred to when the
term "bottle green" was used in the early 19th century.

Free online Dictionary (http://www.thefreedictionary.com/bottle+green)
calls it " A dark to moderate or greyish green", and Wiktionary (
http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/bottle_green) says "a dark
green<http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/green>colour, like that of some
wine
bottles <http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/wine_bottle>." and gives a color
swatch.  I don't really trust a color swatch on a computer monitor, however.

I think I need a physical swatch. Can someone in the know point me to a
paint chip (e.g. Behr paint color #1234), or a DMC embroidery floss or
Madiera thread color number, or some such thing?  Or would someone who has
some bottle green fabric be willing to send me a small snippet?

Thanks.

Christine Shamblin

--
"I'm a Material Girl...want to see my fabric collection?"