At 01:09 PM 3/20/2008, you wrote:
Be wary of exageration, too, of course. There's an
early description of an Irish woman with a brooch the
size of a dinner plate, which seems pretty unlikely. A
buckler is fairly small, but still.

Maggie

Yes, but I have seen Celtic broaches that ARE the size of a shield boss. That famous penanular-looking one, can't remember the name, that is in the Irish Museum of Art. (The same museum that the Shinrone gown is in.) That was at least six inches across. My shield boss isn't much bigger than that.

Though I won't argue that exaggeration is a very likely thing in some cases.

Genie