Chris Laning wrote:
> These experiences suggest that both designers and directors would be
> happier in the end if, whatever the expectations are, they were
> *written down* and agreed on ahead of time.
I absolutely agree.  My husband and a group of friends build sets for
amateur theatre, so I've been reading this thread from the other side,
as it were.  Having had less and less time to build bigger and bigger
sets in recent years, the latest show was an absolute monster - two
structures, 20 ft high, 20ft wide and 8ft deep(just to have space for
enough buttressing), which the director originally wanted to move in
sight during scenes!   They  built it,  securely enough that the
theatre's resident stage manager  allowed them to use it and move it,
which was in question until the technical rehearsal, but only with the
curtains closed and all cast off stage - but they have now  written down
conditions making clear that they can only do so much if just presented
with plans at 6 weeks notice, and how much better it could be if they
were involved in discussions about design and movement requirements at
an early stage.  Clearly understood expectations are always where it's at!

Jean