I had a difficult situation with a play I designed last summer.  The
director didn't have much of a clue what he wanted before the rehearsal
process started but he did have one conceptual concept he wanted
visualized by the costumes and I agreed it would be a good one, so I
designed the show around that.  The play only had 2 actors, one male,
one female (The Last Five Years) and when rehearsals started, they,
especially the woman, started suggesting costume ideas.  At that point,
the director more or less submitted to their-mainly her--ideas and my
ideas kind of flew out the window.  It was a shopped show and one
weekend the woman even went to a store and bought some things she
liked, to bring back and show me.  I was getting rather frustrated and
disappointed by then but tried to go with the flow and I actually did
appreciate their input, since they knew more about their characters
than I did through rehearsing their parts.    I guess I've been in the
business enough by now to know do this, although it would have been
impossible if the costumes had been built.

So I sympathize with you and your situation.  Fortunately it hasn't
happened very often that the actors want to design their own costumes.
On one of the other plays I also designed last summer one actress asked
for a different color fabric after I had already purchased it, but we
had a big enough budget that I could do so.

Several years ago I was draping a show that had cast an experienced
Broadway actress who was of a "certain age"  and the designer had to
design 3 different possible outfits for her to approve before his
designs were finalized, so I know this happens a lot in our industry.
Sometimes the actors are right and have good ideas.  Sometimes they are
not and you have to do what it takes to please them, as I've found that
directors usually bow to the actors, not the designer.

Sylvia