What time period of "medieval"? What are you wearing it with? Generally,
length depends on whether or not you're tripping on it and what your
socio-economic class is. The more money (or rank) you have, the longer and
fancier your belt.

The best thing I've found to soften leather is use, or you can treat it
with mink oil and work it a lot. Or let your dogs chew on it, but then
you'll have toothmarks. ;-)

Jen/pixel/Margaret