I had a difficult situation with a play I designed last summer.? The
director didn't have much of a clue what he wanted before the rehearsal
process started but he did have one conceptual concept he wanted
visualized by the costumes and I agreed it would be a good one, so I
designed the show around that.? The play only had 2 actors, one male,
one female (The Last Five Years) and when rehearsals started, they,
especially the woman, started suggesting costume ideas.? At that point,
the director more or less submitted to their-mainly her--ideas and my
ideas kind of flew out the window.? It was a shopped show and one
weekend the woman even went to a store and bought some things she
liked, to bring back and show me.? I was getting rather frustrated and
disappointed by then but tried to go with the flow and I actually did
appreciate their input, since they knew more about their characters
than I did through rehearsing their parts.??? I guess I've been in the
business enough by now to know do this, although it would have been
impossible if the costumes had been built.

This is why I continue to maintain that contemporary show are the most
difficult to design.? Many cast members think they have a better idea than the
designer.? And?many directors, wanting to please the actors in order to get the
best possible performance out of them, will let the actors dictate to the
designer what they want.? Which is why research and renderings are extremely
valuable from the beginning of the process.? So it doesn't turn into "He said,
she said" and one can produce the original ideas which were agreed on.? I hope
we're not boring the non-costume designers on this list.

Cheryl Odom
College of Santa Fe