> About how many costume/fashion related books or magazines do you own?
Somewhere around 500, more if you count the art books, but they're packed
right now.

> What was the first one you purchased?  Where did you purchase it?
Payne's "History of Costume".  I didn't purchase it, my high school
librarian gave it to me when I graduated, since I was the only person who
had checked it out in three years and I knew it well enough to quote page
numbers.

> What was your most recent purchase?
Mode a Firenze

> What do you think was the best deal that you have every made when
> purchasing a publication?
That copy of Payne was pretty good, other than that, probably paying $25 for
Boucher's "20,000 Years of Costume".

> About how many period photographs do you own just for the costuming?
About 20.  I've also got a couple of framed hand-tinted fashion plates, and
I've got tons of pictures of existant garments.

> What book or magazine is your most treasured...if your house was on fire,
> you would take it with you.

My great-grandmother's copy of "Encyclopedia of Embroidery".  It was
originally her grandmother's.

> What is the worse costume book that you own?  I know Robin has a
> collection!
"Let There Be Clothes".  It perpetuates every costuming myth there is.  I
keep it to show my students what not to use.

> Do you have a room devoted to your collection?

Well, it's my workroom, where I use them.

> When did you start collecting?
1976

> Do you consider your collection for business or pleasure?
 Business, but I would collect them even if I didn't costume for a living.
Having the business just makes it easier to justify my obsessions.

> What was the most price of  you have ever paid for a book, collection of >
> work, etc.

$100 for Mode a Firenze.  Although, I've been looking at an out of print
French book on costume in the reign of Louis XIII for $700.  It has pictures
of garments that were lost during WWI and WWII.

> Optional questions:
>
> How many sewing machines do you own?  What types and age?
I'm down to 3 in the house right now:  My great-grandmother's 1909 Singer
treadle, a Singer Featherweight that needs it's box repaired, and a 3 month
old Brother.  My 1978 Kenmore just got reconditioned and sent to my youngest
daughter.  Until fairly recently, I had 2 more electric machines and another
treadle, but I pared them down.

> How many sewing patterns do you own?
The patterns live in two four drawer filing cabinets.  Probably half of
those are one's I've drafted, but I collect patterns, usually when they're
on sale for $1.  I like looking at them for inspiration and if I can start
with a ready made pattern for something, great, that saves me a bit of time.

Melusine