At 11:02 PM 4/23/2008, you wrote:
>This could be really fun to poll the list.  Lurkers come out,
>wherever you are!
>
>About how many costume/fashion related books or magazines do you own?

Books - right around 1100
Magazines - too many years to count of Sew News, Threads, Creative
Machine Embroidery, Art Doll Quarterly, and a few issues of others
along the way.

>What was the first one you purchased?  Where did you purchase it?

Don't remember now.

>What was your most recent purchase?

Several - at Costume Con 26 -
         Il Costume Popolare in Italia by Emma Calderini - 1946 -
over half the book is color plates, it's in Italian (which we don't
read, but Pierre's brother does....)
         Gothic Painting  by Jacques Dupont and Cesare Gnudi - 1954 -
Study of paintings between the 12th and 14th centuries - 110 color
plates printed separately and hand-leaved in.
         (Margaret Manatt of "The Gilded Bat" (vintage costume books
and other stuph) is WAAAAYY too dangerous to shop at!)
And others....

>What do you think was the best deal that you have every made when
>purchasing a publication?

Don't remember.

>About how many period photographs do you own just for the costuming?

None

>What book or magazine is your most treasured...if your house was on
>fire, you would take it with you.

QEWU and Dressing a Galaxy (the one with the fabric swatches)

>What is the worse costume book that you own?  I know Robin has a collection!

The Illustrated Hassle-Free Make Your Own Clothes Book - a hippie
book from the 60's or 70's - a quarter or so at a library sale....

>Do you have a room devoted to your collection?

Yes - the guest room has 3 bookcases and the upstairs landing has 3
also, plus one in Pierre's sewing room.

>When did you start collecting?

20+ years ago

>Do you consider your collection for business or pleasure?

Pleasure - definitely don't make any money from this!!

>Optional questions:
>
>How many sewing machines do you own?  What types and age?

6 - Janome 11000, Husquvarna Designer 1, 25+ yr old Kenmore
mechanical, a basic White serger, a Janome SewMini for travel, and a
cobbler's machine we haven't had a chance to play with yet.

>How many sewing patterns do you own?

A 4-drawer filing cabinet stuffed full, a 3-drawer filing cabinet
full, and several boxes and paper grocery bags stuffed and not
sorted.  One of the more urgent "house projects" to be taken care of
soon is organizing them.  Probably close to 400 or 500 total.

>I would like to add one more question:
>
>Time to come clean...What was the most price of  you have ever paid
>for a book, collection of work, etc.  We won't tell your mate!
>LOL!  You don't have to name give the title, just in case you were
>taken to the cleaners on a purchase.  Example: a book and the amount.

Don't remember the book or amount, but almost guaranteed it came from
the above mentioned Margaret Manatt.

Sandy

>Penny Ladnier,
>Owner, The Costume Gallery Websites