On Tuesday 17 June 2008 2:37:38 pm Deb Salisbury, the Mantua-Maker wrote:
> "Plaited" is the old term for what we now call "Pleated".
> "Threads" was an informal term for fabric or clothing.
>
> I guessing that the description of that photo was written a *long* time
> ago, and the editor didn't think to update the language.

I knew about the older use of "plaited."  (See my post on the topic.)
The "threads" explanation didn't occur to me, but it makes sense if we assume
that the translator may have picked up English from...many different sources.
Thanks.

--
Cathy Raymond <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

"Bad laws are the worst sort of tyranny."--Edmund Burke