I trace out the pattern on muslin and put any marks that I may need on it.  It
also saves time in the long run because you won't need to do any pinning when
you lay the pattern out on fabric.

Carol Kocian <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>> What is your favorite method of preserving patterns to keep them
>> intact? In the past, I have fused the tissue to muslin, but those
>> were *very* simple children's play clothes, and eyeballing the
>> cutting line for a smaller size was simple.

I rarely use commercial patterns; usually I would draft them
out of a book onto paper.

My favorite paper source: If anyone is near a large printing
plant, call and ask if they print on web presses, and if so wold they
give you a butt roll?

When a web press is running, they switch from one roll of paper
to the next without stopping. This means there is some paper left on
the old roll. For our use it's a huge amount, about half to an inch
thick on a 4" core. Printers recycle these rolls as waste, but if
you ask nicely they will give you one.

Don't get newsprint, because it degrades. You want white
uncoated or matte finish so you can write on it easily. Of course,
you can't be too fussy with free stuff, but also they could look out
for the type of paper you need and save it for you. It helps to
bring cookies or brownies to the person who helps you. :-)

-Carol