We use drafting/tracing paper. It's 36" wide, so many pattern pieces fit on one width. It's really transparent, erasable, and pretty durable. It gets a bit brittle after about 5 years but not too much. We used to get it at Office Depot, but we now get it at our university's bookstore - with the supplies for the architecture students. (Which is also a source for good pencils, erasers, and various curves and templates....)

Sandy