>>I rarely use commercial patterns; usually I would draft them
>>out of a book onto paper.
>I trace out the pattern on muslin and put any marks that I may need on it.  It
>also saves time in the long run because you won't need to do any
>pinning when you lay the pattern out on fabric.

Both of the above are true for me too.  I'm a very lazy costumer for
all that I like high-end results.  I like to handle & fiddle w/ my
patts, mockups & finished garment as little as possible.

Part of this attitude is that I keep all my old mocks & drafts & notes
neatly organized in 2 file cabinets in the garage.  They're done on
heavily starched muslin and/or butcher paper (comes in big wide rolls
that last for years) and/or on the back side of D and E size
mechanical drawings done on "vellem".  It's not real vellem, it's the
kind that CAD drafters use & goes in a plotter.  This stuff will out
last me.  It's guaranteed 75 years archival quality, and I'm
recycling.

As for the starched muslin, I can draw on it, snip it to fit, pin it
on a person and gather or pleat it, then press it back to flat.  It
will even drape a little, unlike any paper pattern.

I love going to the pattern file cabinet, pulling out something I did
a decade ago to use as a starting place.
--cin
Cynthia Barnes
[EMAIL PROTECTED]