I wrote:
>If you set your sights low, you are likely to fall into
>some career "traps", by which I mean careers that look
>appealing, but where you really have to fight hard to
>get the wages and the respect you deserve. Custom dress-
>making is one -- many people have made a success out of
>it, but as I think this list can testify, many wind up
>working long hours for very little money, because
>customers often think they should get Yves Saint-Laurent
>clothes for sweatshop prices. Theater costuming is
>another place where we've heard a lot on this list
>about lack of respect, impossible expectations from
>management, no budget, unpredictable crises and low
>wages. I know there are good shops, but you have to
>look for them and be firm about what you will and
>will not accept.

Just to clarify, before I start a flame war: I don't at all mean that these are
somehow "lower" careers! Many people have been very successful at them. What I
mean is, if you set your sights low, AND you get into one of these fields, you
are likely to have problems -- as others can testify -- if your low
expectations lead you to accept pay that's too low and treatment that isn't
good enough for how good YOU are. _That_ is the trap to avoid. You ARE good,
but you have to believe it.