[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>I have some dark red linen that I would like to use, but I want to wash it
>first.  My local fabric store usually carries a product called "Retayne"  but
>they have been out of it for a while.  It's a "color fixative for  cotton
>fabrics" according to the label and is used in hot water.  I've been  using it
>on
>linen with good results.
>
>What can I use instead?  Someone at the fabric store suggested white
>vinegar, but she was not sure of the water temperature or amounts.  I would
>like to
>wash the linen in warm/hot water, if possible, to allow it to shrink  before I
>use it.  I'll be doing it in the machine, since it is about six  yards.

White vinegar is helpful _during_ the dyeing process for some dyes, but IMHO it
doesn't do any good afterward -- it's helpful in dyeing when the acidity of the
dyebath makes the dye "take" better. Nonetheless, it's widely recommended as a
method of "fixing" dye and there are people who swear by it. My science
education leads me to be very skeptical, though ;)

Your best bet is probably mail/internet order: I know Dharma Trading used to
stock both the brand-name Retayne and their own generic version, and their
service is quite fast and competent.

Some commercial detergents do contain small amounts of something comparable --
they generally advertise on the box that they help keep colors fast. I've
always relied on my little bottle of Retayne, so I don't know how well they
work.

If you need something quickly and don't mind paying inflated prices for a
couple of laundry loads' worth, the Rit dye company sells (or used to sell) a
color fixer right there on the rack with their little dye packages. It's
actually just Retayne, packaged in a little one-washer-load envelope, but you
can sometimes find it in areas where there aren't a lot of specialized stores
that would stock Retayne any other way. It might be called "Run Away" if my
memory isn't playing tricks on me, but if you find it, read the box to be sure
that's what it does.

In general, quilters are good people to ask about dye and marking questions,
since when you sew little bits of various colored fabrics together on a routine
basis, you encounter these problems a _lot_ <grin>.

There also exists a detergent called Synthropol which I think of (incorrectly)
as the "opposite" of Retayne -- Synthropol is pretty effective at removing dye
that has run onto somewhere it is *NOT* supposed to be (as when all your
underwear comes out of the washer pink...). It does not "fix" the dye that is
already attached to fibers: what it does is to remove any dye that is just
hanging around in the cloth and _not_ firmly attached.

Good luck: reds tend to be among the more difficult colors to keep where you
want them ;)