Hey guys, I thought that you may find these two portraits interesting:

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z123/Castlegrounds/Portraits/pg92detail.jpg

http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z123/Castlegrounds/Portraits/pg93detail.jpg

Note the cut of the "sideless surcote" and the minimal headcovering (a ribbon?). On the page 93 detail, note the fur lined cloak and what appears to be buttons down the front bodice (buttons are shown along the sleeves of the GFD underneath in both images). Some form of closure would be required on both, given the high neckline. In both surcotes are what appear to be slits for hands and a full gore set into the front.

These are image details of the troubadour Castelloza extracted from
LemaƮtre, Jean-Loup ; Francoise Vielliard . Portraits de troubadours: initiales des chansonniers provencaux I & K (Paris, BNF, ms. Fr. 854 et 12473). Ussel: Musee du pays d'Ussel, 2006. ISBN:2903920354 9782903920357 OCLC:68706473
http://www.worldcat.org/oclc/68706473

There are 170 illuminated capitals containing portraits of troubadours. These are reproduced as full page illustrations from two manuscripts (probably both produced in Venice at the end of the 13thC). Most of these are of male troubadours, but there are a few other females as well.

Beth Matney