On Jan 4, 2009, at 2:29 PM, Robin Netherton wrote:

It can take a little while for the bleach to do its work. I suppose that is why you can use certain (weak) bleach products to alter the color of your hair and not end up bald ... but it's certainly not good for your hair.

Years ago, I remember a friend of mine telling me she didn't shave her legs, but instead "bleached" the hair there. She assumed the bleach simply made the hair color lighter so the hair didn't show, but I suspect the bleach treatment she bought actually thinned out the hair on her legs over time.

The "bleach" to lighten hair is peroxide. If she was using a blonde hair dye, that would work. Too much peroxide can cause damage, but not as fast as fabric bleach.

I've used fabric bleach as a quick & dirty poison ivy treatment. It dries out the rash really fast, and it's harsher on the skin than hair bleach.

As with anything, try it on a swatch first. The yellowed tippets are weakened and will probably need to be replaced.

     -Carol