Date: Wed, 11 Feb 2009 19:52:55 -0500
From: "Penny Ladnier" <pe...@costumegallery.com>
Subject: [h-cost] Fashion Designers and WW1
To: "h-costume" <h-cost...@indra.com>

What happened to European design houses during World War I. I have read that the Parisian design houses closed during the war. Did their businesses move to other locations? If so, where? I know Jean Patou was a new designer before the war. He closed his house and served in the war. What happened to the other designers?

I searched through my entire collection of L'Art et la Mode magazines from 1914-1919. L'Art was a Parisian high-fashion magazine. Designers were not in the magazine until 1919, and then there were only a few. The major fashion illustrators presented renderings of fashions to the magazine. I wonder where the illustrators were drawing their inspirations for the fashions. Can other h-costumers who have European fashion magazines please check the WW1 time frame check for designers. How long was it until the design houses were functional after the war? I have a U.S. fashion industry trade magazine/journal from 1918. The journal is devoted to preparing the industry for gearing up the businesses and factories up for the end of the war. I am looking at actual period publications that have documented the designers in business at the time frame.

I have documented the following designers. Some where Paris-based designers but I don't know where their businesses were based during the war. I am wondering if the designers contracted other businesses to produce their designs.

From 1916 Harry Angelo Catalog Designers: This catalog was published in NYC and Paris http://www.costumegallery.com/1916/Christy/ .
Agnes, Beer, Alice Bernard, Bulloz, Georges Doeuillet, Drecoll, Dumay, Georgette, Jenny (Jeanne Adele Bernard), Charles Klein, Martial & Armand, Monge, Paquin, and Premet.

From 1916 Harper's Bazar Designers:
Bendal, Alice Bernard, Callot Soeurs, Carroll, Doucet, Lady Duff Gordon, Fanny, Hickson, Charles Klein, McNally, Premet, Redfern, and Tappe.

Penny Ladnier
Owner, The Costume Gallery Websites
www.costumegallery.com
11 websites of fashion, textiles, costume history