Eureka!  or rather, while putting the bodice together, I found a quote
that might be why i had decided to  line the skirt with wool as well
as the bodice, beyond the whole making it reversible.  though since
this time I am Drea's directions unlike before when I made my own
sewing directions (so i could sandwich the skirt between the bodice
layers instead of making both seperate, and tehn attaching the two
together) i actually was able to find this quote.

here is the quote from Drea's web page
"The skirts in 16th century genre paintings were lined-all those where
the lining could be seen, that is. The lining was often a contrasting
fabric, and was very likely wool rather than linen. "

found on http://www.elizabethancostume.net/lowerclass/makeflem.html

I am sorry if i am slavishly quoting her, but i would really rather
not do the original research myself, if i don't have to.  I am just
too lazy i think.