On Mar 3, 2009, at 8:39 AM, J A Urbik wrote:

What I would like advise about would be should I put an addition layer
of sturdy linen or something as an underlining on the bodice, or will
the just the wool be ok?

Hopefully the kirtle will be sturdy enough to hold you up, and the overgown will just lay on top of it. Mine is two layers of wool with nothing in between (and it's reversible!). The weight of the skirt keeps the bodice pulled fairly flat.

http://www.faucet.net/costume/period/Flemish7.html

I know I will need a strip of something sturdy down the front edges,
from previous experience with the style, but I have not worked too
much in wool, so i don't know how it will go.

I put plastic boning (not period, but works well) just in the edges, and it works just fine. I made the seam allowances into a casing so I didn't have to stitch through the outside. It does help to have something stiff so the lacing doesn't buckle the edges when you tighten it. Hypothetically it shouldn't be a problem, what with the weight of the skirt pulling things downward and the sturdiness of the kirtle underneath smoothing everything, but if you're not entering it in a competition, it's probably better to cheat a little and be safe.

Melanie Schuessler