Ah--that can cause real problems. Boning the tabs will help in that situation, but adding shoulder straps will help more.

I should clarify that I'm not against boned tabs. They're great. But if you're putting a slender person in their first corset, and there's no boning in the sides and back, I think they're more work than they're worth.

Melanie Schuessler

On May 21, 2009, at 3:30 PM, Sharon Collier wrote:

Hers didn't have shoulder straps.

-----Original Message-----
From: h-costume-boun...@indra.com [mailto:h-costume- boun...@indra.com] On
Behalf Of Melanie Schuessler
Sent: Thursday, May 21, 2009 5:47 AM
To: Historical Costume
Subject: Re: [h-cost] Elizabethan Pair of Bodies for a petite figure.

On May 20, 2009, at 8:13 PM, Sharon Collier wrote:

My daughter is thin and made a corset without tabs. She has not been
happy with it, as it transfers all the weight of the farthingale and
skirts to her waist/back. She now wishes she'd made one with tabs to
help distribute the weight better. Remember, thin women don't have as
much "padding" as we not-so-thin ones.

True, but if the corset isn't too long (which can be quite
uncomfortable) and if it has straps (which it really should), tying the farthingale to the corset should distribute the weight of the skirts up
through the torso.  I had the same issue with the weight of the skirts
resting on my waist and lower back until I tied the farthingale to the
corset.

Melanie Schuessler