Helen, what a wonderful find. And no wonder I thought it had a Flemish look to it.

"Title: Lady J. Grey, Artist: Richard Burchett, Date: Between 1854-1860, Location: Prince's Chamber in The Houses of Paliament. Notes: This portrait is in fact copied from a painting now known to be of a Flemish Lady. But it looks very similar to some other images of Jane."

Here's another interesting thought. Doesn't the first image at the Lady Jane Grey site look awfully familiar?
Lady Jane Grey page: http://www.bitterwisdom.com/ladyjanegrey/Life/1c.html
First image: http://www.bitterwisdom.com/ladyjanegrey/Life/janegreywrestpark.jpg Holbein's Lady Pemberton miniature: http://www.uvm.edu/~hag/sca/tudor/pemberton.jpg

...but the page itself, with all the versions of the images, provides wonderful examples of how understanding of clothing changes when copies are made of copies are made of copies...

- Hope

Helen Pinto wrote:
There's a reason why I still do image searches with altavista... The painting that started the question is by Richard Burchett, painted ca 1854-1860. It is a copy of a painting in the private collection of the descendants of Henry Grey, first Duke of Kent, by an artist of the English School, dated to the mid-16th c. There are literally dozens of copies, most also Victorian. Who knew. You can find the painting in question, the original it was copied from, and all of the other copies at the Lady Jane Grey Internet Museum, here: http://www.bitterwisdom.com/ladyjanegrey/Life/1c.html