--- On Wed, 17/6/09, michaela de bruce <michaela.de.br...@gmail.com> wrote:

 SNIPPED FOR BREVITY

On Wed, Jun 17, 2009 at 7:22 PM, Elizabeth Walpole <
ewalp...@grapevine.com.au> wrote:

> I'm pretty sure this is from the decoration in the British Parliament, there
> is a series of all the kings and queens of England and they all have a gold
> background and a caption underneath,
> I think it was done in the Victorian period but I don't know for sure.
> Elizabeth

COMMENT
The "OLD" Houses of Parliament were burnt-down in a catastrophic fire in the
early 1840's - 1842, I think, - leaving only Westminster Hall from the older
buildings.
A.W.N. Pugin was the Architect who did most of the detail design for the "new"
Houses of Parliament.
 I had occasion to research this  item while doing some family History
Research. An ancestor of mine, a Stonemason from Bloxham, near Oxford,  - being
unable to find work in his local area, - "tramped-it" to London, sleeping in
barns and under hedges - and got a job on the re-building of the "replacement"
Houses of Parliament.He stayed on the job until the work on the new buildings
were completed, and saved-up enough money from tha "long contract" to bring his
sweetheart from Chipping Norton to London, and marry her in the church of St.
Martin-in-the-Fields.

So the pictures of the Kings and Queens of England you mention are of early
Victorian date - though the Artists may have drawn upon older images.

Cordially
Julian Wilson,
 now dwelling in "old" Jersey.