From: h-costume-boun...@indra.com [mailto:h-costume-boun...@indra.com] On
Behalf Of Cin
Sent: Saturday, 20 June 2009 1:10 AM
To: h-cost
Subject: Re: [h-cost] No rings on middle finger (was Black beads

See what you think of this one:
Frances Brandon Lady Dacre & son, Hans Eworth, 1559 It looks like she has
only 3 fingers & 1 thumb showing on her right hand.  That's a big band on
her middle finger.
--cin
Cynthia Barnes
cinbar...@gmail.com

From: Maggie <maggi...@gmail.com>
I know of one full length portrait of Mary Queen of Scots, and I believe
I've seen a couple other examples (possibly German), but they're way
out-numbered. According the author of the book I mentioned, the middle
finger "is for fools", but he doesn't really say much else about it.
Although he does say a similar habit prevailed among the ancient Greeks and
Romans and contemporary (1917) Hindus.