I lived in Ann Arbor, Michigan, from 1963 to 1976. As I remember it, skirts got progressively shorter from 1966 to 1969 but the local culture still didn't accept trousers on women. IIRC, the first "pantsuits" for women were greeted with derision on this side of the Atlantic. Anyhoo, I *loathed* mini-skirts with a deep, abiding passion so I made my first maxi skirt (without a pattern) in 1968/1969, specifically to wear to school (9th grade). It was ankle- length, and I'm proud to say that I was one of the first to wear one in my social circle <g>. By the time I graduated in 1972, we were all routinely wearing those long dresses with the elastic under the bust (as mentioned by another list-member)--made in wild floral prints and using commercial patterns--when we weren't wearing jeans. While other fashions had been banned at various times, the Ann Arbor schools never bothered to target "granny dresses". I do remember that it was a challenge to keep bra straps hidden under those wide necklines! So when I went to college I just stopped wearing the bras....

By 1974, I had given up wearing skirts entirely and bought pantsuits instead for occasions that called for something nicer than jeans. Anybody wanna talk about pantsuits??

Suzanne
[who thinks it is true that the Sixties mostly happened in the Seventies]

On Jul 4, 2009, at 1:00 PM, h-costume-requ...@indra.com wrote:

From: Hope Greenberg <hope.greenb...@uvm.edu>
Date: July 4, 2009 11:44:14 AM CDT
To: Historical Costume <h-cost...@indra.com>
Subject: Re: [h-cost] 1960s hippie fashions

Ah, what fun. I know by the early 70s I had several long dresses for casual wear, but when did the trend start? Well, here are two factoids that might help:

In the late 60s Laura Ashley introduced daywear that had a longer length. (see any history of Laura Ashley, wikipedia will do)

And my favorite kind of evidence--mention in contemporary literature:
In 1968 the popular writer Barbara Michaels published "Ammie, Come Home" a ghost story set in Georgetown, MD. The key thing here is that early in the book the protagonist goes shopping with her trendy niece and is talked into buying one of those "new maxi skirts." (BTW remember that the first "maxis" were mid-calf length. Later the term was applied to ankle-length as well.)

- Hope