Satin ribbon doesn't stay tied as well as grosgrain does.  Twill tape is
better.

I use shoelaces - really long ones, but I use three laces for my corset -
one for the couple of holes right at the waist, one for all the holes above
it, and one for all the holes below it.  It's the only way I know to keep
the corset from gapping at the waist over the course of a day.

On Sat, Jul 25, 2009 at 1:38 PM, Laurie Taylor
<costume...@mazarineblue.com>wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Getting ready for Costume College and have a last minute issue.  Could have
> asked this on the CGW list, but thought the larger group here might give a
> larger range of answers/ideas.
>
> What do you use for lacing your various types of corsets and/or stays?
>  When
> I think about going to the local fabric store and buying the cotton cord
> that I would normally use as filling in pipings, I just can't see using it
> on stays, especially late 18th/early 19th century.  Rattail certainly would
> not work either.  What do you use that isn't too bulky or to hard, or too
> prone to slipping out of the tie?
>
> Right now, for convenience and in the interest of stash reduction, I'm
> using
> 1/8" and 1/4" silk ribbon, leftover from my last round of silk ribbon
> embroidery.  It's not very satisfactory, but I could not figure out a good
> alternative.
>
> Thanks.
>
> Laurie T.
> Phoenix

Carolyn Kayta Barrows
--
“The future is already here, it is just unevenly distributed.”   -William
Gibson