Hello Laurie

I have used shoestrings in the past, really long ones. They work well and in my
use remained hidden so it didn't matter if it looked wrong.

My latest effigy corset, I had made a 7 strand kumihimo style braid that was
actually a test piece for the technique. Really easy to make up, but it takes
time. It has a little more stretch than the shoelace, but it was made in blue
and white strands of cotton embroidery floss, and is surprisingly strong enough
to handle the tension.

I gave up ribbons some time ago, as they couldn't handle the strain. You can
also buy corset lacing, which I've also used... bought bulk on a roll from a
one time source (group buy of corset supplies). I now have more corset boning
steels than I know what to do with.

Kimiko